After completing her AA in graphic design and BA in fine arts at LAU Beirut, Mireille headed to Paris where she obtained her Master in decorative painting. Since the year 2000 Mireille has been working with renowned Lebanese interior designers painting murals, ceilings and walls using different techniques and textures for both residential and commercial spaces.
In 2009 Mireille abandoned her decorative work to concentrate on her own creative art production,
consisting mostly of painting on canvas where she deals with expressions of her nostalgia for the past
using images from magazines and newspapers as well as photographs taken by the artist herself.
“Looking” at the paintings of Mireille Merhej from a distance, one instantly recalls the works of
Jacque de la Villegle, Mimmo Rotella and Raymond Haines among the many artists who have adopted the iconic style of de-collage or ripped street posters. When we get closer to Merhej’s canvases however, we discover when scrutinizing their surface material that her images are in fact painstakingly painted in acrylic and are not simply collaged or de-collaged torn printed posters and pages of color magazines.
This leads us to place her work into the realm of photo-realism and brings to mind in particular-Malcolm Morley’s photo realistic paintings in the mid-sixties which were drawn from mundane post cards of ships.
- 2015 Michel Fadel Studio, Antelias, Lebanon
- 2013 “Nostalgia”, ARTSAWA, Dubai, UAE
- 2012 Minotti Gallery, Achrafiyeh, Lebanon
- 2016 Art Space, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2016 Geek Express, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2016 Bitasarrof, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2016 LAU Alumni, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2014 “Glimpses | Contemporary Arab Women Artists”, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- 2013 “LAU Alumni”, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2011 Q Contemporary, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2000 Space of Art, Beirut, Lebanon
- 1997 Maraya, Beirut, Lebanon
- 1997 “LAU Art Exhibition”, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2015 “World Refugee Day”, Paddle8, Dubai, UAE
- 2014 Life, Guildhall, London, UK
- 2000 Ipedec School of Arts, Paris, France
- 1997 BFA
- 1995 Associate of Arts, Advertising, LAU, Lebanon
- 1993 International College